Tuesday, September 25, 2007

5 things they didn't tell me about the first few months of motherhood:

1. How crying for hours at a time is normal (me crying that is) and understandable and ok. Hormones were raging, lack of sleep was raging, crying baby was raging, irritating people were raging..

2. How guilty I felt about so many things I never felt guilty about before.
I should be able to clean and cook and soothe the baby and use motionless sleep and exercise and have a schedule and write thank you notes and be nice to people and save the cheerleader and save the ..

3. How my baby has the uncanny ability of sensing when to wake up from a nap - just when her mother lays down to take a nap. Seriously, happens ALL the time. (maybe she's a yet to be superhero...and will someday destroy evil by not letting the bad guys sleep..)

4. How awful it is to hear my baby crying and crying. It's like how it irritates me to hear a baby crying on the airplane when I'm trying to sleep or read but realizing I have to stay on the plane for 3 months instead of for the next 3 hours...ouch.

5. How awful breastfeeding can potentially be when I have a low milk supply and I have to try to breastfeed, pump and give formula to my baby every few hours. And try to remember to take fenugreek and mother's milk tea several times a day. And try to go the lactation consultant and meet with the breastfeeding mother league and get my baby weighed. (People did tell me about the breast pain and engorgement which I eventually experienced as well). whew! Just reading all that makes me tired.

No comments: